Sunday 3 November 2013

The beginning of my journey...

My name is Jamie, creator of the webcomic Parental Guidance, D&D dungeon master, father, husband and all around creative geek.

This year, I asked my gaming group what other games they liked to play, and the topic quickly turned to Pokemon. The comment was made that if there were such a thing as a Pokemon tabletop RPG, they'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

I love Pokemon, but my family didn't have a lot of money growing up, and so I missed out on the phenomenon that was Pokemon Red and Blue. Still, I watched the show religiously, and many years later when I had left school and had a job, I bought a Gameboy Advance and a used copy of Pokemon Yellow. And it was glorious. 

Bringing that experience to the tabletop seemed like a brilliant idea. I did some browsing around, but wasn't terribly happy with the results I found overall. Other attempts have been made over the years, but they are either needlessly complicated, or messy and underdeveloped.

So, not content unless my workload is full to bursting, I've set out to create the ultimate Pokemon tabletop experience.

My plan is to bring the nostalgia and wonder of the video games to the tabletop as an RPG/Boardgame hybrid, with a fun and simple system that can be enjoyed over a campaign with your friends. I will be melding other ideas that have been done before with new ones I've created, in an attempt to better streamline the whole experience and make it much more accessible and fun. This is not a licensed product, nor will it ever see a commercial release (unless Nintendo decides to throw a stack of money at me, but I'm not going to hold my breath). When it's done, I plan on uploading the rules here, for all to enjoy.

Over the coming months, I plan to update this blog regularly on how the game develops so you can watch the process and follow along yourself. I hope you'll find it interesting and entertaining.

So join me, on one geek's journey, from concept to completion, as I try to bring the incredible world of Pokemon to the table.

Welcome to Pokemon Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment